[x_blockquote cite=”Darby Simpson” type=”center”]”At some point you need to stop reading and take the plunge.”[/x_blockquote]
Advice from Darby
- Have the faith, yet you have to make it work.
- Farming and business ownership is a lifestyle.
- Your family needs to be on board.
- Start small and reinvest in the business as you can.
About Darby Simpson
He began his own farming enterprise in 2007 after reading “Pastured Poultry Profits” by Joel Salatin as well as several other sources of information pertaining to small scale pasture based meat production. The operation produced 150 pastured broilers that first year that were quickly sold and generated a base of avid customers who were left clamoring for more. In 2008, the enterprise grew to 1,000 birds while pastured pork was also added, with the hogs all being spoken for thru successful marketing to the existing customer base.
By 2012, the farm was producing up to 3,000 pastured broilers, 125 turkeys, 60 hogs and 12 beef per year while using less than 20 total acres. Since that time the land being actively managed is now 40 acres, and the farm now financially supports Darby and his wife Brandy, along with their two young boys, Ethan and Zach.
Darby has transitioned himself from a successful mechanical engineer into a full time farmer and enjoys the many benefits that come with being self sufficient in ones livelihood. His success shows it is possible to build a business from scratch with little or no knowledge of what Joel Salatin affectionately calls “lunatic farming”.
Darby’s transition into farming…
- Started out with an initial batch of 50 broilers and spent $500 on the chickens and the chicken tractor.
- Looked at the initial expenditure as seed money. “If it all goes belly up, no big deal we aren’t out that much, but at least we tried.”
- Sold all but 2. Reinvested the proceeds and built a second chicken tractor and ordered 100 more chickens.
- Gradually grew the operation reinvesting all of the profits back into the business.
- Later added hogs, cattle, and turkey.
DARBY WILL BE SPEAKING AT PV3 IN SAN DIEGO THIS MARCH
He will be giving a three hour talk on farm marketing and sales.
[x_button shape=”square” size=”x-large” float=”none” href=”https://www.permaculturevoices.com/pv3″ info=”none” info_place=”top” info_trigger=”hover”]LEARN MORE[/x_button]