If there’s one given when it comes ot starting a farm its that you will face challenges.
From pests to establishing a customer base to managing time, it’s always something. One of the big challenges is weather. It’s constantly changing and can often surprise you doing exactly what you didn’t expect – frying a bed of transplants or pummeling a crop with hail.
But it’s not always the unpredictability of the weather that’s a challenge. Sometimes it’s the knowns of the local weather that provide all that challenges that you can handle. That’s the case for my guest today farmer Brent Heironimus.
Brent’s a farmer who runs his family market farm located on 8 acres with 1 1/2 under cultivation in Southeast Texas by the town of Beaumont.
He’s farming in Zone 9A, one that a lot of northern growers might envy, but one that brings its own challenges. Because Brent just isn’t dealing with the Texas heat, he’s also dealing with rain, and a lot of it. It’s forced him to adapt and modify things he has seen on other farms for his own context.
Today you’ll hear what he’s doing and how he’s doing it.
Connect with Brent:
THE EPISODE WAS MADE POSSIBLE BY THE DRY YOUR GREENS & BUILD A BETTER BUBBLER COURSES
Why convert a washing machines to a greens dryer?
Converting to one of these machines can actually save you over a thousand dollars this year. Lets say you process 300 lbs of greens each week at 50 lbs an hour. Well, when we double your speed to 100 lbs an hour, that saves three hours a week at $15 dollars an hour for a savings of $45 a week. Lets say you farm 35 weeks out of the year.
That’s a savings of over $1500 in the first year.
Add to that better shelf life, and the peace of mind that its food safe? Priceless!
What’s in the course?
The course is 11 videos and 8 PDF’s that walk you through the easy process of turning a washing machine into a greens drying machine.
The videos are short, we know you don’t have a lot of time, and only put in what you needed to know; in fact, the total conversion can be done in as little as 1-2 hours.
- We tell you what washing machine to buy or find (we’ve identified 10 models so far), the exact measurements to use when cutting the materials, and how to make it safe and easy to use.
- There is a spreadsheet of every part you need, down to the tech screws and caulk, and links to where to buy them. (even a page about places to source the basket in Canada!)
- We show the evolution of the different conversions we have done, and why we made them a particular way.
- There is a private Facebook group for us to share information, see what others have done, and show our successes.
- We only list models that we know work in North America. We can’t certify any models in Europe, but feel free to buy the course and see if the models are similar- we will refund if there are no comparable models.
Why build a bubble washer?
The bubble washer washes greens by loosening dirt and bugs, mixing them thoroughly, and cools the crop, all without bruising or tearing!
What’s in the course?
- Complete list of parts, supplies, and washing accessories
- 13 value pack videos on how to build and use
- Drawings so you can visualize what you are building
- Training on how to use the bubble washer after you build it
You Will learn…
- what crops do best in the bubble washer
- the size and quantity of holes to drill for best bubbling action
- Which motor is the quietest and where to buy
- what size bubble washer is right for you
- best ways to make your bubble washer food safe
- a simple $8 tool to clean your bubble washer