About farmer and father, Darby Simpson
- Entering his 10th year of farming in 2016.
- Started farming part time in 2007. Went full time in 2010.
- Started on 1 acres with 50 broilers.
- Farms on 50 acres now.
- 15 acres are in hay.
- 35 acres are fenced in for grazing cows and chickens.
- 5 acres of wood for pigs.
- Early books that helped him:
Takeaways from this episode
- If you want something bad enough you will make it happen. But it will take sacrifices.
- If you are married, make sure that your spouse is on board.
- You can only sell so many chickens to “A” customer, at some point you either need more customers or you need to sell “A” customer, something else.
- Pastured poultry is a great place to start if you are interested in raising livestock.
- Fast cash flow
- Small upfront investment
- Minimal space needed
- Allows you to build a customer base quickly
- Chickens are a lot less scary than raising cattle
Have a question for Darby?
Leave it in the comment section below.
Connect with Darby Simpson
Whether you are simply someone looking to raise some or all of your own meat on a homestead, or are looking to follow your dreams of full time farming Darby can help you be a success and reach your goals. Your one on one consultation is tailored to fit you – not anyone else. It’s all about your farm enterprise or homestead, and will answer your questions on a myriad of farming related subjects. LEARN MORE.