[x_blockquote cite=”Darren Doherty” type=”center”]”Do when you have the fiscal license to do so.”[/x_blockquote]
Insights and wisdom from Darren Doherty
- We are in a time and place where you need to develop your own recipes for success and build of the world that has been done.
- Practice fiscal discipline and planning.
- Being fiscally disciplined is not just about not spending money, it’s also about, if you are going to spend money, do it with a plan.
- Practice longer term thinking.
- How is he developing his own property?
- “Do when you have the fiscal license to do so.”
- Look at the things that generate income and a return on investment quickly. And then go from there.
- Work within your context – personal, social, financial, ecological.
- Applying minimalism, getting as much bang for your buck as you can.
- Be very cautious on how much you are imposing on the landscape.
- How has Darren’s design evolved over time?
- He now focuses more on the context – the time and place – with which people and their landscapes fine themselves in, and try to recover from there. With a lot of simplicity.
- “Instead of trying to get more cows or more out of each cow, can you get more for each cow?”
- Simple ways to be better than the average farm.
- Focus on building soil and getting your water and wire systems in place.
- More on consulting, design, and work by Darren at Regrarians
- Holistic Management by Allan Savory
- Malabar Farm by Louis Bromfield
Darren Doherty on Evolving Agriculture and Regrarian Design
Darren Doherty Talks The Keyline Design Process and the Importance of Building Soil
Engineering Success in Production Landscape Enterprise Development Workshop
March 6 – San Diego
The 10 factor Regrarians Platform (RP) was first developed in 2010 (by Darren J. Doherty) following an intense period of global training and outreach from 2001 onwards. Using P.A. Yeomans’ 8 factor “keyline scale of permanence of all things agricultural” (1958) as its base, the RP not only added 9.Economy and 10.Energy, but became more holistic with the crucial infusion social and legal considerations.
The RP embraces and distills the world’s most effective regenerative design and planning methods — making it in effect a ‘methodology of methodologies’, by assigning an coherent,, strategic and practical order to their application.
1. CLIMATE – You, Enterprise, Risk, Weather
2. GEOGRAPHY – Landform, Components, Proximity
3. WATER – Storage, Harvesting, Reticulation
4. ACCESS – Roads, Tracks, Trails, Markets, Utilities, People
5. FORESTRY – Blocks, Shelter, Savannah, Orchards, Natural
6. BUILDINGS – Homes, Sheds, Portable, Yards
7. FENCING – Permanent, Electric, Cross, Living
8. SOILS – Planned Grazing, Minerals, Fertility, Crops
9. ECONOMY – Analysis, Strategy, Value Chain
10. ENERGY – Photosynthesis, Generation, Storage
Applying the RP to project design and development ensures that production landscape enterprises, be they startup or established, have a critical, methodical and thorough process that is typically lacking in other methodologies.
One of the best ways to learn how to apply the RP, is to apply the RP! This day long #PV3 workshop will do just that, using 2 interactive and participatory case studies that are of a scale common in production landscapes.
Included in this workshop are a digital copy of the 1.Climate and 2. Geography chapters of the Regrarians Handbook along with access to a range of planning and design presentations, spreadsheets and other documents prepared by Regrarians Ltd.
- Professional application of the Regrarians Platform to project design and development
- Site A — smaller scale holding — an inclusive and participatory design exercise where together we apply the RP to develop a concept plan for the development of this small holding
- Site B — larger scale holding — similar approach to the morning session and Site A — in this case we look to the broader scale landscape and the different planning, development and investment issues at play
Key Takeaways from this Workshop:
- That applying the Regrarians Platform to the both startups and existing rural enterprises alike is a refreshing and thorough means by which to launch from and reboot
- Being successful involves some serious planning (landscape, economic and social)
- Achieving your integrated planning goals requires fiscal discipline and a preparedness to limit innovation, judiciously monitor your results and to continuously replan.
What you will learn in this Workshop:
- See how the Regrarians Platform can be practically integrated in your planning of production landscape enterprises
- Understand some of the design & planning tools that are used by Regrarians Ltd. in its daily operations and how you can integrate these too
- Get a fresh look and approach to planning and developing production landscape enterprises
REGISTER FOR THE WORKSHOP WITH DARREN – OFFERED BOTH IN-PERSON AND ONLINE
San Diego – Sunday, March 6, 2016
Sheraton San Diego Bay Tower
1590 Harbor Island Drive, San Diego, CA 92101
Support Permaculture Voices
You can support Permaculture Voices through a one time or reoccurring donation at permaculturevoices.com/support