Today I’m going to be talking to another small scale farmer who is absolutely crushing it on an acre and half. Along with his wife Kate, Conor Crickmore is grossing over $350,000 per year at Neversink Farm in upstate NY.
It’s truly inspiring story, and one that didn’t start out with a farm making anywhere near what it makes today.
It started out as a homestead with chickens and pigs and a rocky filled weed patch that almost had Conor and Kate throwing in the towel their first season.
But they persevered, and slowly got rid of what didn’t work, while focusing on what did work.
It’s a theme that’s made them successful – removing steps and pieces that make the job harder, less efficient or more time consuming.
As you’ll hear in this episode, a lot of this current success is due to as much what they aren’t doing, as what they are.
It started out slowly and morphed into a market garden that’s incrementally gotten better over the last few years – both in terms of financials and quality of life.
In this episode Conor will talk about what the journey has been like and what specifically they have done to make things improve dramatically since that hard first year; and one of the those things, might surprise you, because it’s very much against the norm of what you typically hear about in this sector.
Let’s start at the beginning, in Brooklyn, NY.
Connect with Conor:
Course is for Small Market Farms looking to increase profits and efficiency.
The focus will be on Conor Crickmore’s No Tractor small scale farming techniques including Neversink’s No till permanent bed systems. Neversink developed these systems for high production and high profits.
Day Starts at 9am and goes until 4pm
Refreshments and Sandwiches Provided
Some topics we hope to cover:
- Farmers Market setup, sales, and logistics
- Greenhouse/Hoophouse design, equipment, installation and management
- Propagation House (Efficiency, Heated Tables, Germination)
- No Till bed and field preparation No Till Weed control / Cultivation
- Field and High Tunnel Irrigation
- Main Tools at Neversink (Greens Harvester, Paperpots, Flame Weeder, Tilther)
- Harvesting, Washing and Packing
- Pack Station Design Cold Room DIY
- Tomato Grafting Trellising (lower and Lean) Generative Steering.
DID YOU LIKE THIS EPISODE?
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW…
Permaculture Voices is listener supported by people just like you.