Curtis Stone is the owner of Green City Acres, a multi-locational urban farm based out of Kelowna, BC, Canada.
In 2014 his farm generated $75,000 in gross sales on 1/3 of an acre, spread over 5 small plots of land that consist of front yards and vacant lots.
In this lecture, he will share with you his 10 essentials to profitable urban farming that will help you work less, and make more money at the same time. If you are currently farming, and looking for ways to improve efficiencies on your farm, or just getting started.
This presentation could save you thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of time by implementing these steps.
[x_blockquote cite=”Curtis Stone” type=”center”]”Follow the rule of 80/20, focus on the 20% that yields 80% of the results.”[/x_blockquote]
The 10 Essentials for Profitable Urban Farming
- Follow your ideology, but keep it in your back pocket.
- Be an early adopter.
- Start small and keep your overhead low.
- Source high grade information.
- Seek out experienced farmers and mentors.
- Focus on the tasks that pay.
- Focus on things that you can measure the results for your efforts.
- Measure everything.
- Focus on high yield crops and market streams.
- Organize crops and zones.
- Diversify your product and your market streams.
- Develop systems that can be easily replicated and taught.
About Curtis Stone
Profitable Urban Farming Workshop – March 6 – San Diego
Topics covered in the urban farming workshop:
- Market Research
- Is there a demand for market vegetables in your area? And where is that demand coming from – farmers market customers, CSA customers, restaurants? Learn to analyze who you market is and what type of products and methods of transaction they will support.
- Site Selection
- How to find land for farming, and how to convert that land from lawn to farm plots.
- Site Negotiation
- A lot of land can be accessed for free or for very little money. Find out how.
- Crop Selection
- Identify the best crops for your market and farm.
- Crop Planning
- Not just what to plant. But when to plant.
- Bed Layout
- Maximizing planting space to get the most out of a limited supply of land.
- Tools and Infrastructure Selection
- Save money by not buying what you don’t need.
- Transplanting and Seeding Techniques
- Sometimes transplanting is more effective that direct seeding and can lead to less crop failure and better germination. Find out when.
- Weed Prevention
- Forget weeding. Focus on preventing weeds from forming in the first place.
- How to efficiently and effectively harvest your crops to save you labor and time.
- The crops are harvested now what? Depending on your market different crops can be processed in different ways.
REGISTER FOR THE PROFITABLE URBAN FARMING WORKSHOP
San Diego – Sunday, March 6, 2016
Sheraton San Diego Bay Tower
1590 Harbor Island Drive, San Diego, CA 92101
Can’t attend the workshop in person?
This workshop will be streamed online.
Watch all 6+ hours of the full profitable urban farming workshop from the comfort of your own home via GoToWebinar.
You will see and hear everything that the live audience gets to see and hear.
The split screen view allows you to view a live camera feed of Curtis teaching and another view of just his slides. You can customize this view on your end. The webinar software allows you to ask questions throughout the workshop.
The workshop will be live-streamed only. The will not be a replay and the workshop is not being recorded.
To register for the streaming version of the workshop, just purchase a ticket above and choose ‘Online – Streaming’ option.
After you sign up you will receive a link to view the workshop from your computer.
Learn more about Curtis Stone and his farming methodology.
A Tour of Curtis’s Farm – Green City Acres – The Farm that Generates $75,000 on 1/3 Acre
Support Permaculture Voices
You can support Permaculture Voices through a one time or reoccurring donation at permaculturevoices.com/support