“The whole idea is to create customized fiefdoms so that people are autonomous and have the authority to run their own fiefdom within your own umbrella, and you can’t believe how many things you can get done that way.”Joel Salatin
- A farm is not a continuity business until it provides two salaries.
- Do you know how long it takes you to do things on your farm? That type of time and motion analysis is important.
- Farmers aren’t exempt from knowing about and running the business.
- Consider task oriented jobs for employees versus time oriented jobs for employees. Performance oriented pay versus just showing up.
- Joel’s Rule on Farmers Markets: If you aren’t making $2000 per market you should be doing something else with your time. If you aren’t making that much you might be better off spending that time creating your own marketing.
- You may not want to house all farm business within the same business entity.
- YOU DON’T HAVE TO DO IT ALL. There are people out there that love doing things you don’t do.
- Put people into positions that that gravitate to, doing what they love, and what they are good at.
- Consider commission based pay for the sales staff.
- Joel uses memorandums of understanding that including the clause of everyone agreeing not to litigate.
- Multiple enterprises is leveraging. It allows you to duplicate and multiple your resources base without you having to do more work.
- It is a coordinated effort. Everything has to fit.
- Always think how do you value add.
- The hard part in marketing is getting the first sale.
- “We have to come at it with an assumption of abundance, not scarcity.”
- “It’s when you come to it saying ‘we haven’t even scratched the surface here’, that we start to see opportunities open up.”
- “More is caught than is taught.”
- “Don’t tell me what’s wrong. Tell me how you fix it.”
- “How do you exercise decision making muscles unless you make decisions. And the freedom to fail is the most exercise you can get for decision making.”
- “All we have to do is design the system so that other people are drawn to the things that we aren’t good at, the things we don’t like to do.”
- “Hunger makes people creative.”
- “When you direct market would you believe that there are actually people out there who want to patronize your product and want you to be more successful than you.”
- “By running commission based enterprises it creates room for people to start that doesn’t jeopardize the current business with an investment that might not come back, and it completely reward performance.”
- “The whole idea is to create customized fiefdoms so that people are autonomous and have the authority to run their own fiefdom within your own umbrella, and you can’t believe how many things you can get done that way.”
- “How we structure the money and the business arrangement is what gives wiggle room, trust, capacity, and risk forgiveness in these untested waters.”
Joel Salatin On the Next Generation of Farmers
Joel Salatin on Economically and Environmentally Sustainable Farm Businesses