In this episode Darby talks about several new market streams he is adding to his farm business on top of the several market streams he already has.
He isn’t adding these market streams because he wants to, he’s adding them because he has to. He is seeing his existing market streams start to top out, so if he wants to grow the farm he has to start selling his product to more customers versus selling more products to his existing customers.
You’ll learn about why he is doing this, and how he is approaching each of these market streams.
This episode will help show that you probably shouldn’t expect to find one market stream and just ride it. Instead it’s likely going to take a variety of market streams to make you farm business work.
Darby’s sales models this year:
- Bulk/CSA program – chicken, pork, beef, turkey
- On farm sales on CSA pickup day
- Monthly Space Credit Program
- Farmers markets:
- Summer 3 per week
- Winter 1 per week
- Local Grocer
- Restaurants, Breweries
- Trying to get into a CrossFit
- There are many different ways to sell product, don’t get your heart set on one or fixated on just one, it may take a group approach to make it work
- Look at the farmer’s market to build customers and relationships, get sales moving, but it may not be the only sales stream in the long run
- Bulk customers might be easier to add than restaurants early on given your personal relationships, but they may top out over time and it may be hard to add bulk customers in quantity over time
Connect with Darby Simpson
Whether you are simply someone looking to raise some or all of your own meat on a homestead, or are looking to follow your dreams of full time farming Darby can help you be a success and reach your goals. Your one on one consultation is tailored to fit you – not anyone else. It’s all about your farm enterprise or homestead, and will answer your questions on a myriad of farming related subjects. LEARN MORE.
FARM BUSINESS ESSENTIALS 3 DAY INTENSIVE
A complete step by step A to Z system to plan, market, and grow the farm enterprise that’s right for you.
October 26-28 in Indianapolis, Indiana
“If you are trying to decide if farming is the right choice for you then this is the class to take. Like me you will learn all of the necessary information, both the good and bad, before committing to this lifestyle. This is also a great choice for those who have decided to make regenerative farming their passion. You will learn how to crunch numbers for a profit, how to market to consumers, and of course how to grow top quality food. I’m glad I invested in this workshop.” Tim in Indiana